I’m talking fat today! Food fat. Not the stuff that “baby got back.”
And I’m so glad we’re getting past the fear of fat in our food … healthy fat, that is. Today I’m talking nuts, seeds and certain oils. Yum.
In the past I’ve, like many of you have, avoided fats and aimed for the low-fat / fat-free options in all foods. Now that I’ve learned more about fat and why we need it in our diet, I’ve become a little nutty about getting enough of it into my family’s diet.
Fatty Nutty Butter is delicious, easy to make, and makes getting your dosage of healthy fats quite a breeze. This is absolutely great on toast, celery or my husband’s favorite … just right out of the jar on a spoon. Don’t judge 🙂
Why I chose some of these Nuts & Seeds:
- Pecans – high in fiber, copper, and fatty acids
- Walnuts – not only loaded with good fats, but more antioxidants than all her nut buddies
- Peanuts – a legume, but a delicious one that is now known to help with sleep according to recent studies
- Cashews – so tasty when they’re toasted and have so many good things in them; I won’t even waste my time, just eat them!
- Hemp seeds – high in protein and comes with all the essential amino acids. They’re loaded with minerals, fat, but wait, there’s more! Say hello to GLA, an omega-6 fatty acid that is believed to help reduce inflammation. Read more about it here
- Flax Seeds – lignans. Enough said
- Chia Seeds – again, high in fiber, minerals and omega-3’s. Another win!
- Hemp Oil – polyunsaturated fats up the wazoo and also has that wonderful GLA
Let’s move on to the process!
Gather your nuts.
Gather your seeds.
Get out your medjool dates. Please don’t forget to check your dates pits! Just pinch open your date, find the hard pit and pull it out.
Yay! You are almost ready. Measure out your hemp oil. This ingredient will not get put in right away, so save it off to the side.
Using your food processor, place your nuts, seeds, dates and salt inside and secure the lid. Pulse about ten times or until you have a uniform looking mixture. This is your pre-nut butter stage.
Nut butter is not hard to make, but you need a decent food processor and time. Turn your food processor to “on” and wait. Now is when you watch for the texture to get creamy. You have to mix long enough for the nuts to get so small that the oils come out and make a smoother texture. This can take a few minutes. During this process, feel free to turn off your food processor and scrape down the sides using a hard spatula.
Add your hemp oil. Process another few seconds until the hemp oil is fully incorporated.
Fatty Nutty Butter
A sweet, fun, fatty twist to classic nut butter.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 30 1x
- 1 cup peanuts (unsalted) if you use salted peanuts, do not add salt
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup cashews (unsalted)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 T flax meal
- 1 T hemp hearts (seeds)
- 1 T chia seeds not soaked
- 3 medjool dates remove pits
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1 T hemp oil
- Scrape down the sides.
- Turn food processor to “on.”
- Watch for a creamy texture. Once you see your mixture turn creamy, keep the processor on while you pour in the hemp oil. Process until the hemp oil is completely mixed in.